Thursday, December 10, 2009

Reflecting

My course wide reflection on the decline of the newspaper:

Say what you will about The New York Times and its doomed fate and increasing obscurity, but I think its still a force. I was very moved by this realist and poignant article today about aging, rural America.

I know that the Internet has the potential (and may already be) to produce this type of work and better, but its is so large and dispersed that it can almost be a treasure hunt to find excellency. Unless you become an active searcher, its easy to miss great things. I understand that aggregates work to fix this, but when I pick up the newspaper every morning in Mather Hall, everything is there. The headlines call out to me. I don't need to click any links, create any webs to get from place to place, its just there.

That being said, I like how the Internet can enhance the experience of reading the newspaper. In the little box in the paper today was a suggestion to find out more about the story on the website of the Times. There I found a slideshow of pictures that went along with the article.

I hope stories like this and the accessibility of finding them never goes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment