Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On Twitter, I

So I started a Twitter this summer and found I don't have easy access to many people's Twitters. What I mean by this is that the people I am closest to don't have Twitters. There are others who I know who do have them, but I don't feel comfortable enough to preemptively follow them.

So I've used Twitter to follow mainly news organizations (Projo, NPR, NY Times) and certain interesting people I don't know (mainly the brains behind a few blogs I read or politicians). As of right now, I follow 19 accounts, and 5 accounts follow me. I use Tweed on my cellphone to check up throughout the day. For example, I'm pretty sure I found out about Jodi Rell's decision to not run for re-election via Twitter.

The whole idea behind the "following" of someone puts me off a bit. (The word following seems almost non-consensual to me. If a random stray dog follows me, thats not necessarily something I approve of. I may just want it to go away.) Plus, I still haven't figured out the etiquette of Twitter. When is it ok to follow someone? When is it creepy? Is it really even that big of a deal? Having been on Facebook since high school, I feel like I've worked the ropes enough to know how use it in a socially acceptable manner. Twitter is all new to me, and that has been my excuse for not using it more.

Nonetheless, I'll start using it this week, even if my Tweets go off into a deep abyss, where they are only read and appreciated by me. I don't know how much - or how little - to share. I may Tweet that I'm about to go to bed. I may Tweet a favorite quote that I hear. I may Tweet a political opinion. I may Tweet my location. I may re-Tweet a news story. Who knows? Will I Tweet too much? Maybe.

I guess its pretty clear I am very insecure in my relationship with Twitter. Oh well. My Twitter is gregorymoniz.

No comments:

Post a Comment